Every man will occasionally lose an erection. When this becomes an ongoing problem, characterized by the inability to develop or maintain their erection, it's known as Erectile Dysfunction (ED). Here are some things you might not know about this condition:
- The common wisdom is that the chance of ED rises with age. According to the Cleveland Clinic, that's true. Among middle aged men (40 years), 40% experience some form of ED and 5% have complete ED. That prevalence rises to 70% of men aged 70 years and older with 15% experiencing complete ED. However, age is not the only important factor. Erectile Dysfunction can strike even young people. Meanwhile, many older men don't experience it, although they may notice changes in the duration and firmness of their erections.
- Erectile Dysfunction can be a warning flag for underlying health conditions. These include: diabetes, hypertension, prescription drug side effects, and disorders like Parkinson's Disease and Multiple Sclerosis. If you and your doctor can control or reverse the underlying cause, your ED may resolve itself.
- The 'little blue pill' is not a magic bullet. Between 50% and 70% of people who have used Viagra and similar drugs find it helps their ED. That means that up to half the people who try Viagra aren't happy with the results.
- Meanwhile, many people are not a good candidate for these medications. This can include people with a history of liver problems, cardiac issues, and strokes. These pills can also interact badly with certain medications. Your doctor will be able to determine if pharmaceutical interventions are right for you.
- The good news is that pills are not the only possible treatment for ED. Some people can overcome this condition through non-drug methods, for instance holistic and integrative treatment options.
If you're experiencing symptoms of erectile dysfunction, call the team at Premier Men's Medical Center now to schedule an appointment to have a consultation with their experienced and specially trained medical staff. From HGH hormone therapy to erectile dysfunction treatment, our team can help.